Neapolitan Pizza in Somerville : MidiCi

You may remember that I wrote about a new pizza place that opened recently in Assembly Row serving classic Neapolitan style pizza - well, I finally had the opportunity to feast on some of the flatbreads and oh man, MidiCi is a new favorite!



The new location of MidiCi opened up in February (it's a nation-wide brand) in one of the new buildings in Assembly Row. Pretty much every time I visit that area of Somerville, there is a new cafe, restaurant, or shop that has opened up for business. It is growing so rapidly and I couldn't be more happy about it!

While the building is brand new, the interior of the restaurant feels immediately warm and comforting, like it has been there for years. There is a delicate mix of old-world materials like the marble countertops and live-edge wood tables along with more modern details like the contemporary brass chandeliers that hang overhead.


MidiCi is a fast-casual restaurant, where a friendly staff member greets you upon entering and ushers you to the cashiers where you place your order. You then find a seat with your number sign, and the pizzas are served to you as soon as they are hot out of the gold mosaic pizza ovens.


These pizza ovens were imported directly from Italy and crank up to unimaginable temperatures so your pizzas are made fast and fresh. The menu features all the classics, and everything is made right in front of your eyes at the large work station in the heart of the restaurant. I decided to order the Margherita & Prosciutto, because you know I can't say no to a pork product.


When you think of (dream of?) Neapolitan style pizza, this is what you should be imagining. The pizza should be large enough to serve one person with thin crust in the center and a light, pillowy crust around the perimeter. My favorite part of Neapolitan style pizza is that delicate crust that should be just barely charred on the edges. There's just nothing like it! 


The pizza that I selected was made with fresh tomato sauce and mozzarella cheese, then topped with arugula, prosciutto, and a light dusting of Parmesan after coming out of the oven. Because the sauce was made with fresh tomatoes, it wasn't too acidic and complimented the salty prosciutto and Parmesan in the best way. The peppery bite of the arugula offset the creaminess of the mozzarella, creating a really well-balanced pizza overall. 

While I went for something a little more classic, my fiance went for ALL. THE. MEATS.


I initially thought that this would be like every other "meat lover's" pizza out there: greasy and too chewy and in my opinion, just TOO MUCH. To my surprise, the pizza ended up being light and flavorful and delicious! The trick was in the toppings - there were house-made beef meatballs in addition to ham and pepperoni, all sitting on top of that same fresh tomato sauce, delicate mozzarella, and airy crust with the addition of some fresh basil. 


The toppings were evenly spread out so there wasn't a pile-up in any particular area, and the ham was really special! It isn't your average honey-baked ham at MidiCi, it's Italian cotto ham that is cured with rosemary so it has a more herbal flavor as opposed to the more spicy ham flavor that you're used to. Cotto is one of my favorite Italian meats so needless to say, I stole quite a few bites out of this pizza.

I really enjoyed my visit to MidiCi and I feel like I've finally found a go-to spot when I'm craving Neapolitan style pizza! Not to mention...they have a dessert calzone that is fired in the pizza oven. I know what I'm getting next time I have a chance to go! Which pizza would you go for?

Comments